Followers

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Men Can Quilt




How exciting to know that you have a relative that is a noted quilter in our family, Ira Blount. Ira is my mother's oldest living relative 92 years old and still quilting. I googled Ira and learned that there was a DVD documentary chronicling Ira' s life, "The Common Threads That Bind". I have been trying to obtain a copy from the people who created the DVD. I also contacted Ira via email and he graciously sent me copies of his work and an a origami card that he created. He is quite a craftsman. This is the link to an article about Ira, what an accomplishment: http://capitalcommunitynews.com/CCN_Website09/images/papers/EOR/Jul/0709/PDFs/32-33_EOR_0709.pdf

In addition to quilting, Ira has many talents: Origami, Tin punching, Calligraphy, Pen and Ink Drawing, Beaded Pouch, Woven Top Footstool, Baskets, Exotic Wood Carved Boxes.

The family reunion is coming up the 4th of July weekend and I was hoping to be able to meet Ira personally, but his health is an issue and I won't get the opportunity to meet this family celebrity but I am really proud of him.








No comments:

Post a Comment